Monday, October 25, 2010

A Quick Update Before I Must Depart Once More...

Well I guess this has been a relatively light month for my blogging. Not much to say for it, I mean, it isn't exactly as if the month has been any less noteworthy, I just haven't had much time to devote to it. I've worked a pretty good bit of overtime lately, of course. Oddly, the evenings that I've expected to be “easy” have been directly and proportionately opposite. Friday was a good example of that – we expected to do about 4,900 orders – an easy night. Sure, we did about that number, but I was still there over an hour of overtime. Why? Because other people fail. Yeah, that's pretty much all I have to say about that right now...

I've also spent a lot more of my free time in the evenings this month playing games on the computer, Civilization V in particular. I've always been a huge fan of the Civ franchise, and while I've really enjoyed the game, I must admit my disappointment in just how resource-hungry each new Civ installment has been. I have a quad-core PC with 4 gigs of ram and I'm crashing in the end-game on large maps with the graphics settings set way low. Ridiculous. In any event, I'm learning the new game and I actually like some of the more drastic changes they made to how military units behave.

In other news: Dalton's schooling has progressed nicely. This morning I logged in and found that he is officially out of Kindergarten Language Arts and Phonics – both replaced with first grade materials. I'm sure we'll be seeing some new materials in the mail as well before too long. Assuming a slight slow-down in his speed (due to more challenging materials), I expect he'll still finish both before the end of the Kindergarten school year in June (even though the end dates projected by the school are at the end of July).

As for his History class, we have finished the Africa unit and, today, started South America. In Africa, the focus was not on specific countries, but on the different geographical regions instead. South America looks to be set up similarly, with only one lesson focusing on a specific country, Brazil. Antarctica follows before we finally see our own continent and begin a series of nine units focusing on everything from native American tribes, the colonization period, U.S. independence, and civil rights.

Lessons completed so far have focused on the following regions/countries:

Well, I have to start readying myself for work so, once again, if I had something more to say I'd not have the time to say it. Another time, perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment