Monday, August 30, 2010

9 Years of the Hickersonian Dream



This day officially marks seven years that my wife and I have been married. We met each other over the internet two years earlier, making our relationship not only the longest in which I have participated but certainly my most meaningful. We have brought a son into this world, now five years old and being schooled at home – we have made a lot of sacrifices and overcome many challenges to build our lives.

We have become comfortable with each other without loosing the power of the passion we feel or loosing sight of our combined goals in raising our son. I know too few who are so happy with their spouse, and even when we have hard times I know no other, greater love than that which I feel for her.

The challenges undoubtedly continue daily as we manage our time between our jobs, home schooling, and simply trying to enjoy each others company. Sometimes our son makes further challenges us with the usual 5-year-old attitudes and unusual decision-making processes that can frustrate even the most patient parents, and other times my own frustration with work can bleed over into everything else I do, making me irritable and all-around unsociable. We seem to have an unusual knack of getting through such stresses with hardly a flinch, and I pray that we continue to be so blessed.

And so we continue our epic journey, the Hickersonian Dream if you will. We take each other as we are, even the not-so-loveable parts, and we make a family like none I've ever known previously. I only wish that everyone could have what we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment