Monday, September 26, 2011

Perspective...


A friend of mine made a comment on Facebook tonight that caught me by surprise; he asked why it is that most Americans look down on Asian people... and I found myself, for a fleeting moment, wanting to go on a tangent about political issues with China or North Korea....

But... it occurred to me, however, that this friend of mine is neither Chinese or Korean, nor if he was would he be part of the reasons for my distrust for either country. He is Cambodian, and I can fully admit that I know almost nothing about his country... and I don't really need to in order to know him or any other person from Cambodia.

While attempting to offer some reassurance that not all people feel negatively towards Asians, I kept thinking that my own personal distrust for China (in particular) and my attitude about the government (not the people) of that country could be very easily seen as “looking down” on Asians when seen out of context.

So sure, I have a negative opinion of the political policies of certain governments in Asia. That said, I should NEVER let that become some sort of judgment upon people of Asian decent, regardless of what country they might be from. I like to think that I've been good enough to see this before, but only now have I really thought about it, so I don't know for sure.

Fact is, there is nothing more “American” that being yourself at any cost. Maybe there is something prophetic in saying that, and I believe it to be one of the most true of all statements. America is about being free to be yourself and do whatever it is that your ambition... or your heart... might lead you to do. This truth applies to anyone, whether he or she be Cambodian, Chinese, Arab, or British, and is effectively a right that should not be infringed by any person.

My friends, I ask you all to be mindful of this in the way you conduct your daily lives. I know I must... for eventually, I imagine it will be more important that most of us can possibly imagine.

Good night, friends.

2 comments:

  1. It seems that a well-known quote has a good place here, one that I'll paraphrase because I don't want to get the quote wrong, "I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it." If that doesn't show that our founding father's shared that same opinion I don't know what does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thinking, my friend. I've heard the quote of which you speak, but am not certain which of our founders spoke it. Regardless, I believe wholeheartedly in the sentiment, and I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way.

    ReplyDelete