Monday, January 10, 2011

Creative Play and Learning

This weekend I got back into an old “hobby” if you will... loom knitting. I created two hats, both of which I mandated that our son model for the camera:


The first one (left) was made merely to re-learn the process, and I dare say it turned out relatively well. It kept my head reasonably warm while I was outside a few times during the day on Sunday, but I don't know if it would have kept up with the frigid temperatures on Saturday. It took about two hours of work sporadically throughout the evening to complete... I believe Michelle and I watched several episodes of Kingdom Hospital and I played about 100 turns of Civilization V whilst I worked.

The second one, inspired by Old Glory (otherwise known as the American Flag) took about twice as much time (and yarn) to finish. Each “stitch” is comprised of two strands of yarn as opposed to the single strands utilized in the first one, adding weight and thickness (and presumably insulation). Ther was also the added complication of the 13 alternating red and white bands which I think I could do a little better if I made another one, but I doubt the difference would be visible from the outside.

While I worked on the Old Glory hat, our son decided he wanted to work on something of his own. My wife was kind enough to explain the process and, with some help, he has managed to get a lot further with it than I then expected.


In a feat of manual dexterity (at least for a six year old), he has completed 14 rows. With some mistakes, of course, but nothing that wouldn't make it possible for him to complete a cute hat for a stuffed animal if he wants.

So my weekend was filled with yarn and lazing around the apartment with the family.  What more could I really ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment