Friday, May 13, 2011

Sometimes I Have to Remember...

Just a small blurb tonight...

I get caught up in things sometimes to the point where I forget the most important thing in life:

My self.

And no, I don't mean it the way you might initially think...

I have this problem of thinking of myself in terms of what I do, particularly as it pertains to how I obtain money so that I can be, well... me. This leads me to find constant frustration in the things that I do for a living, sometimes being angry at one or more of my supervisors or other coworkers in general. Sometimes my frustration is with them – and other times my anger is more directed at their job function than it is themselves personally, a distinction that can get very fuzzy when in the moment.

What I'm getting at is... in all the hustle of work I sometimes forget that, while I must perform the duties assigned to me, I do not have to be the job. I am not an equipment operator or an inventory control person just because those may be my job titles. Just in as much as a supervisor that makes a decision I disagree with is not suddenly a bad person by the sole virtue of their title, I have no less worth as a result of any failing (real or imaginary) I may occasionally have in my job.

So what am I? I'm not so sure about that either, but I think refusing to identify myself as my job is the first step towards being it in truthfulness to myself.

2 comments:

  1. you are a wonderful, loving, fun man, who happens to be the best husband and the best father in the world. you're a crazy phil collins fan, "stinky cardinals" fan, and love your game music. does that help any? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, do not let that job completely consume you. Over time, I have learned to seperate myself from all of the insanity that is present. I find you to be someone that I can talk with on a very high level. LOL

    ReplyDelete