Thursday, August 19, 2010

Continued Economic Blues

I've come to the conclusion that my employer, either by accident or design, has realized it's position as the giver (and taker) of life. This is an unfortunate economic truth that I suspect many local employers are enforcing, especially with Ohio's average unemployment rate at 10.4% (with the Cincinnati rate closely mirroring the state average). In my case, I'm paid a so-called “competitive wage” of 13.30$ hourly (a wage I had surpassed by about a dollar an hour over four years ago at my last job), and I find little comfort in it except that it is currently sufficient, albeit barely, to meet our needs when supplemented by my wife's part-time employment.

I find myself asking, however; whatever happened to the times of the single-income family? I wouldn't feel so bad frustrating myself needlessly at work every day if my wife didn't have to work for us to still meet our needs, but as it stands there is just no way to survive without the second income. No one ever said life had to be “fair,” I realize that, but with no debt, no major medical problems, and a reasonable rental payment for our home, what does it take to manage on a single income?

I assure you, I'll be working on a solution to this question over the next few months.

But beyond that, I will continue the struggle to balance my work life with my home life... something that seems harder to do with each passing month.

No comments:

Post a Comment