Monday, November 21, 2011

Be Patient; Take Time to Reflect


I have spent a considerable amount of my spare time over the past two weeks working on a little project that I feel has helped me immeasurably in my practice of patience. I have always had a tendency to be difficult to calm when I am wanting to accomplish something. This has, on occasion, led me to become frustrated and fail to complete tasks, or to do such poor work that the result was worthless or the damage caused was difficult to repair.

In this case, I surprised myself by proving, with persistent optimism, that the time involved in a project or plan carried a value of it's own.

Today, I completed the task of assembling, binding, and decorating a personal study guide; a book with notes on philosophical reflection and practice, including a translation of the Dhammapada. Of course, my wife helped me to learn a simple binding technique, but I had to adapt it to the size of the book (38 sheets double-sided, 78 printed pages) and figure out a way to print the thing in the proper sequence (oddly, this isn't as simple as it sounds).

So I'm pleased to debut my first attempt at organizing and binding a book of this sort:

 

It is really amazing to me that something like this could be done using readily available materials and tools (thankfully, my wife had already purchased most of the supplies – it is all the sort of stuff that can be acquired at any hobby store). More interesting than this, however; is how much time I had available during which to get really frustrated and give up, but I didn't, in spite of a few setbacks. Quite frankly, I feel like I can be a sort of proof that the Buddha's teachings on reconditioning the mind against anger and frustration can truly work.

Instead of becoming frustrated at delay and error, I was able to take it all and see it for what it was: simple mistakes. If that is all there is to it, there was no evil intended. That, and the anger I could have felt would have yielded no positive outcome, and so it would have simply brought me down and caused suffering.

I feel like a lot of things in life are like this for me (and others). We simply need to remember that the anger wouldn't do any good anyway, so what is the reason for dwelling in it and letting it run us into a ditch? There is no reason.

Today, I have, with support and determination, finished a project of personal value to me that, had I gotten angry, would simply have never been completed. I took the time to truly reflect on the state of things, both within and outside of my person, and I can duplicate that success in the future. That fact has the most value of all things.

My advice to my friends tonight: Don't try too hard. Don't let anger prevent you from taking the time – having the patience – to complete a task properly. Further, look into yourself and don't be afraid to ask someone to help you when you know, deep down, that you aren't 100% able on your own. The beginning of human wisdom is the knowing that one does not know.

Good night, friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment