Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Father's Day 2011

I may not be in Bellefontaine to visit my dad this Father's Day because of our move, but I'll be thinking of him over the weekend. He wasn't the perfect father (and that is a statement I think even he'd agree with), but how many parents get the distinction of being perfect? Quite frankly, I could count out the glaring faults if I really wanted to, but when it was all done he'd still be my Dad. Fact is, there are a lot of positive things about me that are the direct result of something that he taught me, and it is easy to forget the more positive aspects a person when you're upset about something else.

Furthermore, at least in my case, it is amazing how everything that has ever upset me can fall to the side now that the finality of life is so apparent. My Dad has cancer, and, honestly, I've finally learned what it means to forgive every grievance (real or perceived) that I've ever had with him.

Looking back on things, I think he's put up with plenty from me too...

In any event, I hope we can all appreciate our own fathers this Father's Day, if for no other reason than the fact that we are not guaranteed another Father's Day with them.



Thank you, Dad, for everything you did right as a father, and even some of the things you have done wrong. I have watched those around me every day of late in awe of just how much my life has benefited from you.

1 comment: